This recipe won the YELO is the new red tomato contest through Sunset Produce. The Pimenton de la Vera Goat Cheese Mixture is awesome for other uses too. Try to melt it over grilled chicken or drop into a basic Bechamel sauce for a Mornay sauce with some spice. The Chimichuiri Sauce is so good on grilled meats and the basic pickling recipe is great for too many items to list.
Grilled YELO Tomatoes
Stuffing, Grilling, & Plating the Yelo Tomatoes
Yield: 50 ord (3 pieces per order = 1.5 tomatoes per order)
75 each- Yelo Campari Brand Cocktail Tomatoes (cut ½’s)
2 quarts- Goat Cheese Filling (Recipe Below)
20 each- Pickled Fresno/Red Jalapeño (Recipe Below)
1.5# Lbs- Jamon Serrano (thinly sliced)
Enough to Coat- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Season to Taste- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper Mix
Enough to Garnish- Chimichuirri Sauce (Recipe Below)
1. Using a paring knife, cut tomatoes in half.
2. Top each tomato half with 1 teaspoon of goat cheese filling (Recipe Below).
3. Slice each Fresno or Red Jalapeño into round slices and top the goat cheese.
4. Wrap the tomato in one layer of jamon serrano and skewer with a 6” bamboo skewer.
5. Three pieces per skewer and drizzle with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper mix.
6. Grill with the cheese side down first only until grill marks appear on the jamon. (less than 1 minute)
7. Flip the skewer and grill other side. (1 minute)
8. Remove from grill and serve warm. Cheese will be soft and creamy.
9. Garnish with Chimichuirri Sauce (Recipe Below)
Pimenton de la Vera-Goat Cheese Filling
Pickled Fresno Peppers:
Yield: 2 quarts of filling
1# Lbs- Bucheron de Chevre (Imported, aged, goat’s milk cheese, rinds removed)
1# Lbs- Laura Chenel’s Chevre (Creamy, goat’s milk cheese)
½# Lbs- Cream Cheese
¾ cup- Light Cream
4 oz- Jamon Serrano (scraps)
¼ tea- Cayenne Pepper
1 tea- Hot Smoked Paprika (Pimenton de la Vera, Picante)
1. Allow time for the cheese to reach room temperature.
2. Mix all cheese together and soften with light cream.
3. Thinly slice or pulse chop Jamon Serrano scraps.
4. Incorporate all remaining dry ingredients, until uniform color.
5.Refrigerate in plastic container with lid.
Pickled Red Jalapenos
Yield: 20 pieces
2 cups- Water
1 cup- White Vinegar
1 cup- Red Wine Vinegar
1 cups- Sugar
2 each- Garlic cloves
1 Tblsp- Pickling Spice (Sysco Brand)
20 each- Red Jalapeños or Fresno Peppers (I prefer the heat of the Fresno)
1. Bring water, vinegars, garlic cloves, pickling spice and sugar to a boil.
2. Drop in Peppers and cover.
3. Let cook for 5 minutes, and remove from heat but keep covered.
4. Cool completely before refrigeration.
Yield: 2 quarts
1 cup- Garlic (chopped)
14 cups- Parsley (washed, chopped)
2 cup- Red Wine Vinegar
2 cup- Corn Oil
¼ cup- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
4 Tblsp- Oregano (dry)
1 ½ cup- Vegetable Stock (cold)
2 tea- Black Pepper
2 Tblsp- Kosher Salt
1. Using a Hand Blender/Emulsion Blender puree on High speed until well mixed and uniform.
2. Keep refrigerated, best if used same day.